Travel underground into Thrihnjukagigur volcano and experience a bucket-list tour that you cannot miss!
“One of the coolest things I've ever done.” -Tripadvisor review
This tour gives you the chance to enjoy many of the most amazing things Iceland has to offer – a great mixture of nature, history and adventure. Have an extremely close encounter with a volcano! This tour will get your adrenaline pumping, without doubt!
Leave with a life-long memory of a unique and distinct Icelandic travel experience!
- Take a very scenic 3 km hike (each way) across a lava field, often compared to the surface of the moon.
- Get to know a bunch of stuff about volcanoes and volcanic activity in Iceland, enjoying the amazing view of Reykjavik and the Reykjanes peninsula.
- The drive from Reykjavik to Blafjoll mountain cabin takes about 30 minutes. Another guide will meet and greet you at the cabin, before leading the way during a hike across a lava field.
- The hike usually takes about 45–50 minutes to complete. It’s rated as moderate in difficulty – it’s not uphill and although you will be walking on a hiking trail for the most part, the surface can be hilly and uneven. This is not a hike for those who have problems with ankles, knees, hips and/or the back. It can be demanding for those who are not used to hiking or doing longer walks.
- After arriving on location, you will be informed about all safety procedures and how to behave in the area and when inside the volcano. You will be wearing a helmet and harness. The trip down or up takes about 6 minutes.
- You will spend about half an hour on the ground of the volcano, in which time you can take as many photos as you want. However, you are not allowed to take rocks and stones from the crater. Your guides will be with you at all times, in the cable lift and on the ground in the magma chamber.
- When you are back on the surface, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a traditional Icelandic meat soup, hot coffee/tea/chocolate and perhaps some sweets.
- Finally, you will walk back over the lava field. And again, you will be accompanied by your guide at all times.